“Must we always teach our children with books. Let them look at the stars and the mountains above. Let them look at the waters and the trees and flowers on Earth. Then they will begin to think, and to think is the beginning of a real education” – David Polis
At Hinguar Primary School and Nursery we believe Outdoor Learning encompasses the physical; intellectual; emotional; social; and spiritual development of every child.
We believe Outdoor Learning enables children to use the outside environment as a context for learning. It leads to a deeper understanding of concepts that span traditional subjects and embraces additional subjects such as environmental studies and geology. As a school we recognise Outdoor Learning is a broad term, with children participating in learning through play, school grounds projects, outdoor play, environmental education, recreational and adventure activities.
The benefits to learning outside of the classroom can include:
- Engagement in active learning
- The prospect to learn new and transferable skills
- Recognition and management of risks and challenges
- The opportunity to develop children’s language and communication
- Memorable learning experiences
- Increased development in children’s independence, leadership and physical competence
- An understanding of how to care for the environment
- A positive increase in children’s wellbeing and mental health
- The potential to greater academic achievement
At Hinguar Primary School and Nursery it is our mission to enable, motivate and inspire children within their Outdoor Learning experiences.
Please click on the links below for further information.